Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Do you take milk with that?



Every once in a while I like to try more healthy foods and when I heard about almond milk, I wanted to give this a go.  
It is gluten free, low in carbs, good source of the antioxidant Vitamin E and promotes a good cholesterol balance.

At the supermarket I had it marked down on my list,  looked at the back of the package and it seemed to have lots of additives like sugar, which we can do without. So then I went about looking for a recipe to try making my own.

The freshly homemade milk has a wonderful flavour and just looked like milk. I enjoyed it on my porridge and in my frothy morning cup of coffee

As I like almonds and this is healthy, will probably make another batch again and here is the recipe should you like to try making this.

Almond Milk

1.5 cups or 220 grams of raw almonds (unsalted and uncooked)
4 cups of filtered spring water, plus water for soaking.
1 vanilla bean or vanilla essence or extract.

1. Soak the almonds in water overnight in a bowl. Do for at least 8 hours, up to about 12 hours.
Soaking softens them well, for use. Drain the water from the almonds.

2. Blend the almonds in 4 cups of spring/pure water. Add the vanilla extract and continue blending until well mixed.

3. Strain using a sieve or muslin so the liquid will go through.

4. Store in a glass bottle - can be kept in the refridgerator for 4-7 days covered with a lid.
It will need shaking before serving to remix the liquid.

Let me know if you try this, or if you drink almond milk, would be interested to hear from you.

Wishing you all a happy week
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting Draffin Bears.
It always makes me happy to read your comments
and I look forward to visiting you.


Carolyn xx