Sunday, June 17, 2018

Elegant old Art Deco Building


This is one of Napier's most elegant buildings and will share a few photos, that I took on our weekend away
Formally it was The National Tobacco Company, also known as the Rothmans Building.
Napier's major tourist attraction is the town itself, which draws Art Deco and Architecture enthusiasts from around the world.
After the massive 1931 earthquake that destroyed much of Napier, most of the City had to be rebuilt.

Louis Hay was one of the Architects who transformed the face of Napier and built many of the buildings in the new Art Deco style.

No expense was spared, for this elaborate and fancy building that Hay designed and I love the soft pastel colours, large wooden carved doors, tendrils tipped  with roses,  and the sunburst features.
They certainly don't make buildings like this much anymore, and it is lovely to see old places like this still standing and we can admire the workmanship.

You have to go whole heartedly into anything
In order to achieve anything worth having
~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Do hope you are enjoying the weekend and wishing you a happy week ahead
hugs
Carolyn

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this beautiful building. It has a lovely design and those extra touches are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    you have a fantastic blog. I had to translate an entry into Polish, because I say, write and read mainly in Polish: D you write great, you are a very inspiring and interesting person! I really like it here :) when you have free time, I invite you to myself :)
    Kisses from Poland :*
    p.s. maybe follow for follow?
    ayuna-chan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful building...happy sunday ...love Ria x 💜
    .


    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello dear Carolyn, I soo agree, the most amazing and beautiful building , and what a lovely color- The details of flowers and leaves are gorgeous.
    You must have enjoyed this visit very much !
    Hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  5. The design is lovely and the finishing touches quite wonderful.
    I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Art deco building. Love those roses on the tendrils. I'm afraid we did not visit Napier when we were in New Zealand. Mmmm, I have to go back to see all the places we have not been yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice, would be a great place for making a movie:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely and elegant building!
    Love these delicate details! :D
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can feel elegance of the architect. Happy sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Draffin Bears.
It always makes me happy to read your comments
and I look forward to visiting you.


Carolyn xx